Tuesday 25 January 2011

Toy Story

Teaching toys today. In my bag I have: a doll, a bouncy ball, a bear puppet and a tiny skateboard. What I don't have is boy toys: cars, trains, planes, robots. And I'm afraid I don't have a kite.

I show the doll: What's this?
They laugh, delighted.
'A Pippi Meia Longa'. I'm impressed. Not just a doll, they know the exact doll category (but do they know the Pippi Longstocking stories too?)
'It's a doll' – I say, passing by each of them and saying Hello in various doll voices. They love this too and I have to do a personalised greeting per child ('Teacher, the doll didn't give ME a pat/pinch/kiss/flick of red hair'). It's surprisingly fun and rewarding for all.

The doll does her lap of honour then I'm back at the top of the class.
'So, what's this?'
Blank faces.
Sigh and start again.

We do the same for each toy. They love the bear puppet ('It's a teddy bear!'). Each name is shouted with great feeling, then just as briefly forgotten. By the time we get to cars (vrooom vroom sounds and dizzy turns), the planes we've just learned (while running around the classroom in ecstatic Titanic pose) are dropping off the radar and Pippi Longstocking is ancient history.

We stop at a total of 7 words (toys, doll, teddy bear, ball, plane, train, car) which I shall have to teach again on Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. Having just finished reading most stories from the blog, I'm deeply moved by the sensitivity, humanity and rare elegance of these wee accounts but oh so imporant moments in life in this Portugal school and in the W-M's family life.

    I'm not saying this Monica because you're my friend, that I'm somehow an easy target audience since I also share your love of stories about education / learning, children, people and that know that I have always admired how you master the complexity and beauty of the languages you speak, write and breathe, especially English.

    It is more than that: you have a real talent and can be very proud.

    So now that i'm following please continue!!!

    And I'm off to spread your words

    lov
    Cle

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a joy to see that someone actually reads this stuff, especially you, Clementine - thank you for your kind, kind words!

    Big hugs and see you very soon!

    P.S. Now that you're a follower does it mean you get the new entries automatically??.. (as you see, I continue to be a complete idiot in these matters)

    P.P.S. There are more stories on the other blog,
    monamurr.blogspot.com - for another coffee break? :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete