Monday 24 January 2011

Blue Monday

Professora Margarida is depressed – she walks into the classroom at the end of my class, white and silent as a ghost, scary for someone as loud and vital as her. The children gather around her until she starts to look like a tall grey shepherdess in a field of lambs.

Then, just as silently, she starts kissing them one by one, with tears in her eyes and a kind word to each. 'How could I ever leave you?' she says and maybe this is a continuation of another scene I've missed. I am spellbound. The kids flock even closer, to be kissed, they lift their little faces towards her, this woman who knows them better than their parents, and who – maybe they even sense it – needs them now.

Once she's kissed them all, she turns, looks at me. 'Any of those for me?' I can't think of anything else to say. And then she comes and gives me a big kiss and hug, and suddenly I know what it is. 'Maria dos Anjos, right?' I ask and her eyes brim over in response. It's exactly a year today since her friend, also a primary school teacher, died of pancreatic cancer. A wonderful, joyful woman, a great teacher and a loyal friend.

I remember Margarida sobbing: 'Get up Maria, please Maria get up now!' after the moving hearse, a year ago. She tells me in a strangled whisper how she took flowers to the cemetery yesterday. 'Maria was calling me' she says. 'She missed you', I reply as if we're talking of an elderly aunt.

Then she and I, laden with the children's pencil cases and notebooks, take the little flock upstairs, to their next class.

No comments:

Post a Comment