Friday 7 January 2011

Sing for the King

The entire school was full of cardboard crowns yesterday. Children spent hours sticking bits of golden paper on their crowns, then wore them with the points upward or - for the more belligerent - downward, like a knight's visor.

It was the Kings' Day, and the song they were practicing at the beginning of the week was belted out with gusto. 'I'm not singing out of interest / I am singing out of friendship / Singing the story of the Kings / to my community!'

Not the most inspiring lyrics, I must say. The story itself - hmmm. The three Kings come bearing gifts for the baby Jesus. They stop outside Bethlehem and have an argument about which of them would offer the first present. A local lord settles the dispute by making a cake and baking inside it a random bean. The cake is cut into three and the king who finds the bean is the first gift-giver. The Bolo Rei - a crown-shaped fruitcake eaten in Portugal around Christmas (read: between November and February!) - embodies the legend.

As I walk towards my next class, I'm pestered by a few petty questions: why a bean? who would give the second present? wouldn't they be fighting about that next? would a second cake be required?

In the classroom, I am faced with 14 kings and queens and 2 knights. The knights, I suspect, are the 2 children who don't want to see what's going on in the English class, never have. I ask about the song. Everyone jumps into formation, according to instruments: two flutes, improvised percussion, two shells rubbed together, a mouth organ, some castanets, pencils-and-desks. They launch into the song, making a huge and merry racket.

It's another ten minutes until we manage to settle down. Just as they start to concentrate on their worksheet (except the two knights who I suspect have fallen asleep behind their visors) the door opens. In comes the janitor holding a little queen by the hand: it's my daughter!!! Everyone stops and turns to look.

'Snack' - the janitor says. I stare blankly. 'She needs her snack' - he repeats. I am dumbstruck - this has never happened before - and turn mechanically to check my bag. Have I got anything??? I am closely followed by everyone's gaze, in tense expectation. Phewww - I find a banana, it looks OK, not too black, not too squashed.

I take it out of the bag as one would a pistol, going 'Ta-doooom' - Kira runs forward and snatches it, everyone laughs. By the end of the class, they're still laughing, still wearing their crowns, the worksheet still unfinished.

Well, there's always tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment