Saturday 4 December 2010

Full Circle

My mother was a primary school teacher all her life. She was known to burst into childish song without warning, at any point in the day - jolly ABC marches, five yellow ducklings, Santa, springtime, nice little schoolchildren reading their fine books (and occasionally our heroic Communist leaders) paid us random visits in mother's high, wavering voice.

Dad put up with it merrily, a spouse's endearing quirk. I sang along when I was in primary school, cringed through it during my secondary school years, screamed for it to stop when I was in high school, sullen silence and mutiny during uni, sigh and indulgent smile thereafter.

Now I'm known to burst into song without warning, at any point in the day. 'Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle ALL THE WAAAAAY!'

No comments:

Post a Comment